Monday 17 September 2012

Stay away from Heat Styling Equipment!!!


I remember when I had my hair all natural, everytime I took my braids or weave out after washing it I would always use a ceramic hair iron to straighten it so I could tie it up just to see how much its grown. This is the same effect that people with relaxed hair get  after each relaxing treatment that they find the need to tie their hair or rather excited to see how long the hair is after relaxing. It’s a psychological thing that we think our hair is sum how longer after being relaxed.( I caught sum1 saying that the other day). Its not a childhood thing , I heard a grown ass 24 year old say that.

Each time I undid and washed my hair I found the need to blow dry then straighten it myself before I went to the salon for next hairstyle. I did this to make it more manageable for the hairdresser to plait and offcourse less pain when I got there. You know how some hairdressers comb hair, its like they tryna take it out from the scalp.

Anyway, though this hair straightening with a ceramic iron happened every  6 -8 weeks only I never realized the impact that that heat had on my hair. Heat styling products break your hair (relaxed or natural), they make it thinner and weak.  And this maybe the reason why you see no progress in your hair growth. If know it tempting when you have an open weave on and you have natural or texlaxed hair and want your real hair to blend in with the weave. If you are using heat stylers everyday or 4 times a week you are destroying your hair, try reduce it and when you do use them apply sumthing to protect your hair like serum or olive oil otherwise you will burn your hair.

For those with relaxed hair if you using the oils instead of wax based hairfood you will see that you don’t have to straighten your hair if using e.g olive oil or castor oil. As for the natural haired, its tempting I know ,oil your hair and reduce any heat contact  as much as you can, closed weaves are a better option.

When I took the decision to relax my hair Its cz I had been disappointed to see that my hair was now shorter than it was a year before, mostly due to blow drying and hair straightening.


No comments:

Post a Comment